Write On! Young Voices Speak!
A Creative Writing Column for Students in Grades K-12
The column is open to students who live within the circulation area of the Kingsport Times-News and receive classroom newspapers through the Newspaper In Education program. The Write On column is published weekly, except for a few scheduled holidays. Paragraphs are due on a Friday TWO weeks before the column is printed in the newspaper.
Notice the due dates that are listed before each topic.
If you send Write On entries through the website, please make sure that your students send the correct topic each week; it is easy for essays to be overlooked when they are sent weeks ahead of the due date.
Please mark each paragraph with the student’s first and last name, grade level, teacher’s name, and school.
Preferred methods – email them to email@example.com or visit the NIE website at www.tnnie.com. You may mail or drop off entries to: Kingsport Times News, Attn: NIE: Anna Leaño, 701 Lynn Garden Drive, Kingsport, TN 37660. Or, you may fax them to 423-392-1340.
Paragraphs are selected for publication according to the following criteria:
Well-written, interesting sentences with good vocabulary, unique expressions or opinions, legible handwriting, some male and some female students, different teachers and/or schools in the area. It is quite a balancing act! We try to read them all, so please turn them in by the deadline! If your students do not see one from their classroom for several weeks, encourage them to keep trying. We receive an average of 250 paragraphs weekly.
~ The “Print Dates” are when the topics are actually published in the newspaper.
Due Dates, Topics and (Print Dates) for the 2017-2018 School Year
- Due Date Sept. 1 – What was your favorite activity or event this summer and why? (Print Date: September 13)
- September 8 – What has been your favorite part about starting the new school year? (Print Date: September 20)
- September 15 – If you were writing a newspaper article, who would you interview and why? (Print Date: September 27)
- September 22 – What is your favorite fall activity and why? (Print Date: October 4)
- September 29 – If you could have any animal as a pet, what would you choose and why? (Print Date: October 11)
- October 6 – What is your favorite school subject and why? (Print Date: October 18)
- October 13 – What is your favorite part of Halloween? (Print Date: October 25)
- October 20 – If you could start your own business, what type would it be and why? (Print Date: November 1)
- October 27 – Write a thank you note to a veteran. (Print Date: November 8)
- November 3 – Make a list of things you are most thankful for in your life. (Print Date: November 15)
- November 10 – What is your favorite part of the Thanksgiving holiday? (Print Date: November 22)
- November 17 – If you were a tour guide for your city, where would you take visitors? (Print Date: November 29)
- November 24 – What is your favorite holiday memory? (Print Date: December 6)
- December 1 – What are you most looking forward to this holiday break? (Print Date: December 13)
- December 8 – What are your goals or resolutions for the New Year? (Print Date: January 10)
The Write On! Column will not be printed on December 20, December 27, and January 3.
- January 5 – How has technology helped you learn? (Print Date: January 17)
- January 12 – List three occupations you might like to try in the future. (Print Date: January 24)
- January 19 – If you were principal of your school for a day, what would you do? (Print Date: January 31)
- January 26 – Do you have any pets? If so, write about your pet. (Print Date: February 7)
- February 2 – Write a thank you note to a parent or other family member. What do you love most about this person? (Print Date: February 14)
- February 9 – Write about a storybook character you would like to meet and why. (Print Date: February 21)
- February 16 – What are some ways to welcome a new student to your school? (Print Date: February 28)
- February 23 – If you could plan a class field trip any place in the world, where would you go and why? (Print Date: March 7)
- March 2 – Write about something you are good at doing or creating. (Print Date: March 14)
- March 9 – Write about your favorite outdoor activity. (Print Date: March 21)
- March 16 – Write about a book you enjoyed reading. (Print Date: March 28)
- March 23 – Write about a recent accomplishment. (Print Date: April 4)
- March 30 – What are some ways we can protect our environment? (Print Date: April 11)
- April 6 – Write a thank you note to a current or former teacher. (Print Date: April 18)
- April 13 – Write about a memorable day from this school year. (Print Date: April 25)
- April 20 – What are you most looking forward to this summer? (Print Date: May 2)
The final column of the 2017-2018 school year will be printed on Wednesday, May 2, 2018.