NIE offers a variety of educational resources to help teachers integrate the newspaper into their teaching activities. Program components include:
- Professional educator to coordinate the program
- Teacher Assistance for training and inspiration
- Curriculum Materials on varied subjects
- Lesson Plans on varied subjects
- Classroom support through presentations
- Newspaper contests for enrichment (with student and teacher recognition)
- Creative writing column
- MiniPage weekly
Click below form now to order newspapers for your classroom and get started with NIE!
Missing contest information? Need a registration form? Need the rules? You can find what you’re looking for right here at this site
Newspaper In Education Week Curriculum Materials
Newspaper In Education Week is celebrated annually during the first full school week in March. This year, the American Press Institute is partnering with the Newseum on curriculum that emphasizes the newspaper as an educational resource.
Lessons focus on the following topics:
Newspapers in Your Life
- What’s News Where?
- The First Rough Draft of History
In the Newsroom
- The Fairness Formula
- Planning for the Unpredictable
- Where News Comes From
- Evaluating the News
This free curriculum features six lessons aligned with Common Core State Standards. Lesson plans incorporate existing Newseum resources into activities and student worksheets. They are geared toward middle- and high-school students, but include extension activities for elementary students.